Date Appointed: 12th December, 2007
State of Origin: Osun
CHIEF JOSEPH OLUREMI AKANDE, OON
Honourable Joseph Oluremi Akande was born on the 22nd January, 1948. An indgene of Osun State, Hon. Akande attended St. Michael Primary School Okuku from January 1953-Dec. – 1959 and Anglican Grammar school Otan- Aiyegbaju between 1959 and 1964 both in Osun State, where he obtained school leaving Certificate and West African School Certificate respectively.
2. Later he attended the University of Ibadan from Sept. 1968-June 1971 for the GCE advanced level Certificate. In June 1971 he obtained a B.Sc (Hons) economics from the University of Ibadan and in 1983 he obtained a master’s degree in public Administration from the University of Lagos.
3. Others are Certificate in Agro-Industrial Project Management (University of Radford U. K) Dec. 1983, Post Management (Pennsylvania University U.S.A) 1986 and Certificate in Nigeria Budgeting System University of Pittsburg 1993.
4. Hon. Akande has served in several Federal Ministries in various capacities. He started as an employment exchange clerk in 1967 with the Federal Ministry of Labour Ibandan and rose to the position of Director Personnel Management, Federal Ministry of Industry from 2001-2002.
5. While in Civil Service, he undertook some special assignments such as secretary, Audit Management Group on Niger River Basin Devt. Authority, Chairman, Task Force on Logistic Movement to Abuja, and Secretary, Presidential Task Force on National Strategic Grains Reserve Programme. His diligence in Service earned him a Presidential commendation for excellent performance as secretary Audit Management Group and Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Award for Mid-Career Professionals by United States of America government.
6. Among conferences and seminars he attended are: ICAO Annual General Meeting Geneva Switzerland May 1978, American Institute of Personnel Management Seminar Kansas City USA, 1986 and InternationalLaw Institute (Washington DC USA 1994).
7. His Publications include: Budgeting Under the Presidential System: The USA and Nigerian example (A seminar paper) and Budgeting Process in Nigeria, A Terminal Paper Submitted as a requirement for post Graduate Diploma in Financial and Personnel Management, Pennsylvania University USA 1993.
8. Hon. Akande is married to Mrs. Bolanle Obafunke Akande (nee Sodipe) with Children. His Hobbies are: Music, Playing Squash, Reading and Travelling.